Friday, February 25, 2011

"Business Kosher"

"Business Kosher" is a term I invented a while back that I would like to share with you. This one might get me into a little trouble with my more fastidiously religious acquaintances, but this stone must be cast.


 What is "Business Kosher" you ask?


If you're a religiously observant/traditional Jew who typically avoids eating anything that isn't kosher, but by the necessity of your livelihood often find yourself in situations where you don't have strictly kosher food options, then you already know all about business kosher. 


If you've ever been at a meal with clients or partners in a non-kosher establishment and you ordered a salad, fish or even a tuna sandwich because they are not necessarily strictly non-kosher by the most lenient of religious interpretations then you have invoked the law of "Business Kosher".


If you have ever been traveling in a location where kosher food is unavailable and out of basic need purchase or order a food item that doesn't necessarily violate religious standards by merit of its basic ingredients, then you have invoked "Business Kosher".


I have witnessed business kosher in action with many very observant colleagues in the past and I submit that its practice is very widely spread throughout the religious Jewish business community. I'm sure many would deny it, but I've been immersed in a reality where I have witnessed orthodox business men and women dining on foods prepared without any sort of actual rabbinical supervision across industries I have worked in. I also don't judge it for a minute, and if they express guilt in my presence I simply say: "Don't worry it's not non-kosher, it's 'Business Kosher'!"


I want to clarify, that only I cite the behaviors I have observed to indicate what I believe amounts to a significant tradition within the orthodox Jewish community--and one that is not necessarily outside the realm of Jewish legal jurisprudence, and can probably be argued to be completely acceptable in specific legalistic terms. Though, I will balance my point of view by adding that whereas some legalistic arguments can be made to this end, I do not doubt that acknowledging such a practice may place one outside the realm of the--publicly ascribed to standards of--the orthodox "community".
Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com
 
Copyright © 2010 The Fuerst Stone. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by